A group of singers drawn from the community around Bishop’s Castle, a small rural town in Shropshire, England
- A group of singers drawn from the community around Bishop’s Castle, a small rural town in Shropshire, England
- About 80 strong, ages between mid-thirties and mid-eighties
- We started as a result of the choral part of the Millennium celebrations
- About to start our 17th year
- We are a Community Choir, open to all older than 16. There are no auditions but members are supported to read music and use other aids (You tube etc)
- We are affiliated to Making Music
What do we do?
- Traditional and more modern choral singing, usually in the SATB format
- Mostly but not wholly music with a religious connection, chosen by the Committee guided by the members
- We hold two or three main concerts each year, as well as smaller events in the summer. This year the Christmas concert will be separate from our main performance (see Programme), with audience participation in the carols
- We also involve the local schoolchildren in Christmas concerts, aided by their teachers
- From time to time we visit our counterparts in Northern France for choral events
- We have recently hosted a German choir from Erlangen near Nuremburg, and hope to visit them in the near future
Where do we do it?
- We are based in Bishop’s Castle, and normally rehearse weekly in the Community College and perform our concerts by kind permission of St John’s Church
- Our recent visits to France have included Hesdin Abbey and St Germain des Pres in Paris
What help do we get in training for our performances?
- Weekly coaching by professional musicians (Alistair Auld and Philippa Whitaker)
- Professional musicians and soloists accompany concert performances, ranging from two or three to medium-sized orchestras
- Experienced musicians and singers within the Choir
What does it cost?
- Members pay £3/rehearsal and also pay for their music, which usually can be bought or rented. New members pay half rate for the first term and 16 and 17 year olds are half price.
Mrs Philippa Whitaker (secretary and founder)
Tel 01588 680312
Address for correspondence: Marches Community Choir, c/o Enterprise House, Station Street, Bishop’s Castle,
Shropshire SY9 5AQ
The Marches Choir is a registered charity
(as Marches Community Choir) – Charity number 1099360